Tooth Decay

Friday, 6 October 2017  |  Admin


Tooth decay is caused by a combination of factors.

Many different types of bacteria live in our mouths. Frequent snacking, drinking sugary drinks and not cleaning your teeth efficiently causes bacteria to build a sticky film on your teeth called dental plaque.

When you eat and drink, the bacteria within your mouth react with the consumed sugars to create acids. These acids remove minerals from the enamel, which if left untreated can cause tooth decay. BioMin™ toothpaste products contain scientifically developed bioactive glasses within their structure. These glasses stick the surface of your teeth and slowly release minerals to repair your teeth. 

Decay begins by dissolving the tooth enamel. Once the decay eats through this hard outer layer of the tooth, the caries can progress rapidly into the softer dentine and may eventually reach the nerve (pulp) of the tooth resulting in considerable pain.

Uncontrolled decay may lead to the tooth been irretrievably damaged with a risk of developing into an abscess causing systemic infection within the body.


    Signs of tooth decay

    If you have any of the following symptoms this may indicate that you have signs of tooth decay; 
    • Toothache
    • Tooth sensitivity to sweet, hot or cold foods or drinks
    • Pain when chewing

    Preventing tooth decay:


    Regular visits to the dentist

    Brushing twice daily with BioMin™ toothpaste to prevent the build up of dental plaque in your mouth and help neuturalise acid attacks. It will also help to
     strengthen and protect the surfaces of your teeth.

    Reducing the amount of sugary or starchy foods in your diet

    • Using antibacterial mouth washes (please allow an hour after brushing or eating) to help reduce the levels of bacteria
    • Chewing gum that contains xylitol; this can help decrease bacterial growth and increase the level of mineral rich salivaquent tooth decay and sensitivity.